1. Line rimmed baking pan with parchment paper; place Appetaggio pieces in single layer on prepared pan and freeze 30 minutes.
2. In wide, shallow dish, whisk egg; in second wide, shallow dish, stir breadcrumbs and pepper. Place flour in third wide, shallow dish.
3. Working with 1 Appetaggio piece at a time, dip in flour, then in egg to coat, then in breadcrumb mixture; dip back into egg mixture and then in breadcrumb mixture. Place Appetaggio pieces on same pan; freeze 1 hour.
4. Line rimmed baking pan with paper towel. Attach deep fry thermometer to medium saucepan; add oil and heat to 350° over medium heat (about 25 minutes).
5. In 2 batches, carefully add bites to hot oil and fry 4 minutes or until golden brown, turning once; transfer to paper towel-lined pan and serve immediately. Makes about 24 bites.